Hyderabad, the fifth largest metropolis of India, is the capital city of Andhra Pradesh state. AP is the largest state in South India. Hyderabad is spanned over 260 sq. km. in area and has a population of about 7 million. Hyderabad in India is located on the Deccan Plateau in the southern part of India. The original city was founded on the banks of river “Musi”. The city has grown over centuries on both the banks of the river. Hyderabad and Secunderabad are called as ‘Twin Cities’ as they are closely linked with each other.
Geographical location of Hyderabad
The geographical location of Hyderabad is 17.366°N Latitude and 78.476°E Longitude. The city is situated at an attitude of 536 meters (1607 ft.) above sea level.
Distance between Hyderabad and other major cities
- Distance between Hyderabad and Delhi is 1499 km.
- Distance between Hyderabad and Mumbai is 711 km.
- Distance between Hyderabad and Chennai is 688 km.
- Hyderabad is nearest to Bangalore city when compared to all other metropolis of India. The distance is about 562 km.
- Distance between Hyderabad and Kolkata is 1516 km.
- Distance between Hyderabad and Kochi is 1095 km.
- Distance between Hyderabad and Coimbatore is 902 km.
The city is located at a distance of 650 km from Visakhapatnam, a major port in the South Eastern coast of India.
Hyderabad is located in South Central Zone of Indian Railways and is a major rail junction. Hyderabad is connected with more than 7030 stations across the length and breadth of the country through an extensive rail network.
The location of Hyderabad, to the north west of Andhra Pradesh state, makes it easily accessible to both North and South Indian states. The location of Hyderabad makes it the ideal stopover for tourists moving north from south India and also for those wishing to tour southern states of India from the north.