Musi Riverfront to be Developed in the Lines of Necklace Road


9 Oct 11: GHMC is coming up with a makeover plan of the Musi riverfront between Puranapul to Nagole with an estimated budget of Rs.200 to 250 crore. It is planning to make this stretch a tourist destination as similar to Necklace road. As of now, GHMC has called for proposals from the consultants, who are needed to submit proposals by October 12 and the selected consultants have to submit a detailed report within 1 month on the Riverfront Development and Renovation of Musi, which covers an area of 40 kms from the outlets of Osmansagar and Himayatsagar to Uppal Nalla Cheruvu.

The detailed report should be according to the guidelines of National River Conservation Directorate (NRCD), the Union ministry of environment and forests. The report should contain clear study on restoration of flood protection walls, bridges, approach roads, landscaping, heritage buildings, development of heritage walks and parking facilities in the catchment areas.


Before commencing the project works, GHMC is taking measures to maintain a minimum water level all through the year. Among the many designing plans of the river front, the GHMC is planning to set up an open auditorium and recreational and cultural other facilities. Even the corporation is thinking of allowing commercial activities such as setting up of kiosks, boating, etc.

In order to build up the aesthetic feel of the area, measures such as creating green spaces along the length of the river, lighting and landscaping facilities, flower beds, fountains, seating arrangements, etc. will be taken.

The NRCD, under the Ganga Action Plan has funded the cleaning works of river Ganga. And now it is funding for 70 percent of the costs of the project and the remaining 30 percent will be borne by the state government and the GHMC.

This is not the first time that GHMC is taking action to develop the Musi river, it has already taken up the ‘Save Musi’ project under JNNURM. Under this project various departments have contributed in their own way. While the GHMC has constructed rubber dams on the river front, the HMWS&SB has constructed a sewerage treatment plant at the two places near the Musi and it has also laid sewer pipes to divert the sewerage water entering in to the river. The HMDA was supposed to take up the development and cleaning works of the areas between Chaderghat and Nagole, but the works were halted due to the land acquisition problems in Uppal Bhagat and Ramanthapur Bhagat areas. These encroachments around Musi and the patta lands are being identified by revenue department, immediately after which the halted works and the present project is expected to commence.


Source: Times of India

VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply