Today e-mail ID is essential for every individual, especially for those who are seeking a job, to send and receive the mails. But besides these, e-mail IDs also give an image of your personality, based on which a lot of candidates may be shortlisted or rejected for good jobs. Hence, it is essential that you maintain a good e-mail id which shows your seriousness towards the job. Not realizing the importance of such good e-mail IDs, many are committing career suicide with informal e-mail IDs.
Informal e-mail IDs
Even if you are a great candidate, the informal e-mail ID projects you as an irresponsible and reckless personality. Either you will not get a good job or you will lose out 90% of your job opportunities. Some examples of informal e-mail IDs are:
Do not use informal e-mail IDs which will make you look like a non-serious and not career oriented person. And they may also create a bad impression of you in the minds of recruiters. E-mail IDs with nicknames and chat style may be considered to be of non-serious candidates. Hence, DO NOT use such e-mail IDs. Some examples are:
This kind of IDs reflects your funky and carefree attitude; which are of no consideration for a good professional organization.
Avoid ID’s in which name and e-mail ID don’t match
The name and e-mail ID of the candidate should match – shows the decency of the candidate. If not, the recruiters might get confused in regards to, who is applying? Can we take this application seriously? Who is the candidate we are referring to? etc. Examples of nameless e-mail Ids:
Whereas, by having an e-mail IDs that matches with the candidate’s name, makes it easy for recruiters to be sure of whom they are sending the mail to, who is applying and also to identify the candidate by his name when he comes in person. Examples of good e-mail IDs:
It is very important to note that, recruiters connect with the candidates through their names (especially during initial screening – interviewing through telephone or e-mail); hence, having your name in the ID, makes it comfortable for them to remember you.
Good e-mail IDs
Good e-mail IDs are the ones which convey a career oriented attitude of a person. They create a positive brand image of you. For example:
These IDs not only look good, but also create a positive impression as well as give a clear idea about the field you are into. Interestingly, these IDs easily catch the attention of the HR (because of the right projection of yourself) and compel them to have a look at your resume.
Things to avoid while creating professional e-mail ID:
While creating a good e-mail ID for professional use, you need to avoid few things, while considering few things.
- Avoid using nicknames, numbers, underscore, multiple separations, appending workplace, etc.
- The perfect e-mail ID should contain your first as well as last name, and make sure you use only your real name, not your nickname.
- Many people like to use their phone numbers, date of birth, some strange fancy numbers, etc. These should be avoided because an e-mail ID without numbers looks more professional.
- It is better advised to use dot (.) instead of underscore (_) in between your first and last name to separate. But make sure that, there is not more than one separation.
- Many people prefer to create e-mail IDs including school name, university, place of work or name of current organization – it is not a good choice for professional e-mail ID.
- Also, be careful on using your feudalistic last name, because many companies can seek out people from their community, while others avoid. Even in a professional company people can be biased towards a community. It can work both ways either you get preferential treatment or get rejected.
So, it is better to use your e-mail ID to convey your seriousness for the job. Because many good companies hire with 1:300 ratio, it takes only 15 seconds for your CV rejection/selection by just seeing the e-mail IDs. By having non-serious or informal e-mail ID, you are most likely to get rejected instantly.
As we all know that, the first impression is the best impression, keep your e-mail ID simple and formal to get a good first impression.
You may also like to read:
- Finding a Job in Hyderabad – Tips for Fresh Graduates
- Important Considerations While Choosing a Job in Hyderabad
- Formal Business Attire – Why Employers Insist for Job Interviews?
- Finding a Job in Hyderabad – Important Considerations
- Finding a Job in Hyderabad: 10 Tips to Get a Decent Job in Hyderabad