Summer is here and we at Hyderabad are already feeling the heat. We need to take some extra care this season to stay away from some of the common problems associated with summer such as sunburn, sunstroke, heat exhaustion, allergic reactions, fungal infection and dehydration.
To avoid these things and to stay safe, you need to take care of some small things. Here they are:
During summer your skin requires extra care because UV levels are higher and if your skin is exposed to harsh sun rays, there are chances of sunburn. To keep your skin protected from the sun follow the instructions below.
- Plan your outdoor activities before 10 am and after 4 pm. Try to stay indoors during afternoon times.
- Apply sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher on the sun exposed area of the skin and apply it 30 minutes before going out.
- Before leaving the house, don’t forget to carry scarf, cap, umbrella, etc.
- Avoid using harsh soaps that remove protective oils from your skin.
Foods to take
‘Eat light and nutritious’ is the mantra for summer.Eat the right kind of food to keep yourself hydrated and healthy. Here are our picks on the coolest foods to take.
- Vegetables – Cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, radish, green leafy vegetables, lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin, potato and sprouts.
- Fruits – Water-melon, bananas, mangoes, grapes, lemon, oranges, guava, pomegranate, pears, peaches and apples.
- Non-vegetarian food – Fish is cooler when compared to chicken or red meat.
- Juices – Buttermilk, sugar cane, coconut water, lime juice, green tea or any fruit juice.
- Soupsand salads– Tomato soup, mixed vegetable soup, coriander or mint soup and mixed fruit or raw vegetable salad.
- Curd – Curd is rich in B-complex vitamins and contains proteins – healthy food to keep you cool.
- Grains to eat – Whole grains, low-fat protein such as brown rice, barley and amaranth (rajgeera).
Foods to avoid
- Avoid fried foods – Avoid junk foods such as burgers, pizzas, samosas and food items that are deep fried and those which contain a lot of oil. Oil requires a lot of water to digest and will make you uncomfortable.
- Don’t over eat – Eat foods that can be easily digested, better to eat light.
- Avoid taking warm, hot natured foods
- Eat less nuts – Nuts contain fat and oil which may lead to body heat. It is advisable to eat a handful of nuts, rather than having them excessively.
- Eat less meat – Eating a lot of meat during summer is not good.
- Avoid extremely cold foods
- Avoid alcoholic drinks and beer – Alcohol consumption leads to dehydration.
Drink plenty of water – Drink at least 3 to 4 litres of water every day. Water helps in hydrating the body. Your body loses lot of water as sweat to cool the body. Drink water even if you are not thirsty.
Clothes to wear
Dressing appropriately for the summer heat enhances comfort and keeps you away from sweat/heat. Check out for the clothes to wear in summer.
- Wear light coloured cotton clothes – Dark coloured clothes absorb heat and it is better not to wear them in summer. Cotton clothing is highly recommended for people with sensitive skin. Do not wear synthetic.
- Wear loose fitting clothes – Avoid anything that is tight. Loose fitting clothes will allow your skin to breathe.
- Clothes for men – Prefer wearing half-sleeved, open neck t-shirts or half-sleeved collared cotton shirts. Better to avoid jeans and thick jackets.
- Clothes for women – Cotton salwar kameez is preferable. Avoid synthetic and tight fitting
1 comment for “Health Tips to Beat Hyderabad Summer Heat”