Major Developments in Hyderabad – May 2013
In the month of May denizens of Hyderabad experienced hottest days of summer. At one point, the mercury rose to 43.9º Celsius, which was the hottest day of the year.
One good thing about summer is, it is the season for mangoes. There was a wide range of mangoes across the city from Himayat to Banganapalli to Alphonso to Totapuuri and many more. In the month of May, many people made a variety of pickles with raw mangoes that can be stored up-to a year.
SSC, ICSE, ISC and almost all the major exam results were out and the ones passed were busy in planning on which course to take up.
Then, there was news on extension of Aadhaar-LPG linkage, Primary Census Abstract (PCA) released Hyderabad’s total population, deadline for set top boxes GOT extended, crime was down in Hyderabad, Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) got an award for its Health and Safety Management System, and many more developments that took place in Hyderabad in the month of May.
Read the following to know more about the major developments that happened in Hyderabad during the month of May.
- The maximum temperature in the city touched 43 degree Celsius, which was the highest for the season. It is also learnt that due to intense summer heat nearly 500 sunstroke deaths were reported in just three days, it was the highest death toll in recent history.
- In the third week of May, sudden rains, lashed the city which gave respite from the unbearable summer heat. The weather was cloudy and some parts of the city witnessed heavy rainfall and strong winds. Due to the heavy rains more than 35 trees were uprooted, vehicles were damaged and a number of hoardings fell and caused heavy traffic jam in the city.
- According to the latest Census data, Hyderabad recorded three-fold increase in women employees to 3.67 lakh as against 1.1 lakh in 2001.
- Owners of the dogs should now get compulsory licence for their pets. They can avail the licence with GHMC by paying an amount of Rs 50 per dog per year and Rs 1,000 per dog per year for Breeder dogs (Kennels) at government Veterinary Hospitals or at private pet clinics or at Blue Cross of Hyderabad, Jubilee Hills or at Citizen Service Centers at Parking Complex, Abids and Khairtabad in the limits of Central Zone, GHMC.
- According to Primary Census Abstract (PCA) of India, Hyderabad’s total population in 2011 was 6,809,970 of which 35,00,802 are males and 33,09,168 are females. The male literacy percentage is 85.96 and female literacy percentage is 79.79.
- Increased police vigilance by the city police has helped lower the crime rate in Hyderabad. The crime rate in Hyderabad is lower when compared to the same period of last years first three months. However, there was an increase in rape cases by 5.8 per cent and chain snatching cases by 32 per cent.
- The Andhra Pradesh High Court has extended the deadline for installing set top boxes till June 4. The extension came as a relief to cable TV users who couldn’t get a set top box for their TV due to shortage.
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) received the prestigious award by the British Safety Council for its Health and Safety Management System.
- The deadline for linking Aadhaar card to LPG subsidy has been extended till August 31. It is a much-needed relief to LPG consumers who haven’t enrolled themselves in Aadhaar-LPG subsidy scheme. According to reports only 30 per cent of LPG consumers have submitted Aadhaar details.
- The LPG subsidy amount will be deposited into Aadhaar-linked bank account after 3-4 days of booking the cylinder. The LPG consumer will have to buy the cylinder at the current market price using the advanced subsidy. The second subsidy amount will be credited to the bank account on the delivery of the first cylinder. This process will continue until the maximum subsidy of nine cylinders in a year is over.
- The ISCE and ISC 2013 exam results were released and this year girls have out-smarted boys in Hyderabad. Many schools achieved 100% results this year with many students scored above 90% marks.
- Out of the 3,260 colleges that are affiliated to 18 state universities in AP, only 185 colleges are accredited by the NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council). Not even a single college from JNTU-Hyderabad is accredited by NAAC, whereas OU (Osmania University) has 37 colleges accredited by NAAC out of 454 affiliated colleges.
- The Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) have shoot up the cut-off marks for IIT admission by nearly 30 per cent. Students need to score over 476 marks out of 530 in the general category, scheduled castes need to score 447, scheduled tribes need to score 452 and other reserved categories must score 469. This year 3.7 lakh students have appeared for the MPC Inter II year exams and only 1.24 lakh students have cleared the mark to figure in the top-20 percentile list.
Roads and Transport
- Traffic police in the city will be using laser speed gun to check overspeeding vehicles at Tank Bund, which is an accident prone zone. Vehicles should not cross 40 kmph mark on Tank Bund.
- According to Hyderabad traffic police statistics, motorists are held responsible for 30% accidents in city since 2009 and 42% of victims have been involved in all accidents. Motorists have been involved in more than 72% of all accidents in the last 4 years.
- Two Metro rail stations will be coming up at Khairatabad and Lakdikapul so that it becomes easy for visitors to reach Secretariat and other government offices in the area. A sky-walk will also be built from Khairatabad station over the railway tracks near to Imax theatre.
- Fish medicine will be given to people at the Exhibition Grounds, Nampally, on 8 and 9 June at the start of Mrigasira Karte. The fish medicine is being given by the Bathini family for the last 167 years. This medicine is known to cure asthma and other respiratory issues.
You may also like to read:
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – November 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – October 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – September 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – August 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – July 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – June 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – April 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – March 2013
- Major Developments in Hyderabad – February 2013
More posts: major developments Hyderabad