Important changes in rules with respect to refund in cancellation of rail ticket have been made. These rules have come into force on 01 July 2013.
- Unreserved tickets
- Clerical charges are deducted. Tickets will be considered, if cancelled within three hours of issue, and for tickets issued in advance, they can be cancelled within up to 24 hours of the day before the journey date.
- Reserved tickets
- For tickets for cancellation more than 48 hours before scheduled departure of train, a minimum cancellation charge per passenger will be deducted at a flat rate of Rs 120 for AC First/Executive Class, Rs 100 for AC-II Tier/First Class, Rs 90 for AC-III Tier/3 Economy/AC Chair Car, Rs 60 for Sleeper Class and Rs 30 for Second Class.
- For tickets to be cancelled between 48 hours and up to six hours prior to the scheduled departure, cancellation charge shall be 25% of fare, and in any case not being less than the minimum cancellation charge.
- For tickets submitted within six hours prior to the scheduled departure and up to two hours regardless of distance after the train has left. The amount of cancellation is half of the fare such that a minimum mount is charged.
- The amount to be refunded on the reserved ticket surrendered two hours after scheduled departure is nil.
- RAC/Wait-listed tickets
- Refund of fare is admissible after deducting the clerical charges.
- For cancelling tickets up to three hours after the train has left regardless of the distance, passengers may get tickets cancelled from any PRS counters or those current counters designated for the purpose.
- No refund admissible on RAC ticket/wait-listed tickets after three hours of the train has left.
- For the e-ticket purchased and cancelled through the Internet, after deducting the applicable charges refunded fare is credited to the customer’s as per rules.
- For confirmed e-tickets, refund is admissible for unused tickets used for reservation.
- For passengers who are on wait-list after the preparation of charts, refund of fare is admissible with due deductions of clerical charges.
- Tatkal tickets
- No refund is admissible on confirmed Tatkal tickets.
Source – New Indian Express