According to GHMC entomology wing, the area between Attapur and Nagole with the edges of River Musi are mosquito breeding ground. GHMC studies on mosquito density regularly, has found high population of mosquitoes along the Musi River belt.
Other areas highly infested by mosquito include Sultan bazaar, Himayathnagar, Barkatpura, Kachiguda, Amberpet, Mallepally, Nanalnagar, Langerhouse, Tolichowki, Vijaynagar colony and Redhills.
The number of malaria and dengue cases has reduced when compared to last year. According to GHMC sources, there were about 524 cases of dengue reported last year, while this year only 78 cases have been reported. The number of malaria cases also dropped to 129 as against 424 cases reported last year.
A few tips on reducing mosquito menace are as follows:
- Keep household sanitized.
- Avoid storing water for long in open containers.
- Use lids to cover water containers.
- Make sure to dispose unused water.
- Ensure waste water in gardens, lawns, etc. is drained off.
- Make sure to dispose –
- Containers (tins, bottles, etc.) are in the open and no longer in use
- Coconut and other plant shells
- Unused tyres
Source – The Hindu