Hyderabadi Biryani is one of the famous dishes relished by people all over the world. Many people have their own versions of making Hyderabadi Dum Biryani, but for making authentic mutton Dum Biryani, there is a process and procedure to follow. Read this article to know how to make traditional Hyderabadi Dum Biryani.
- 1 kg mutton
- 1 kg basmati rice
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger garlic paste
- ½ – 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3-4 tbsp green chillies paste
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder – 1 small cinnamon stick, 3 cardamons and ¼ tsp shahjeera (caraway seeds)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 500 gms curd
- Handful of mint and coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup oil
- Few strands of saffron
- Food colour (optional)
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 cardamom
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp of shahjeera
- 2 tbsp of salt
- Wash the mutton and add salt, ginger garlic paste, green chillies paste, curd, garam masala powder, lemon, chopped mint and coriander leaves and let it marinate for 6-8 hours.
- Heat oil, deep fry the sliced onions till golden brown. Crush/grind the fried onion and add it to the marinated mutton. Also add the oil to the marinated mutton in which the onions were fried.
- Let the rice soak for half an hour.
- Boil water along with cloves, cinnamon, cardamon, shah jeera and salt.
- When water starts boiling, add rice to it and cook it till half done, and drain the excessive water.
- Take a vessel, put oil in it. First pour the marinated mutton in the vessel, and then the half cooked rice. (Don’t mix rice and mutton – it has to be in the form of a layer)
- After layering, top it with saffron strands, some fried onions and green chillies.
- Cover it with lid and cook on high temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Now simmer the heat, remove the vessel from the stove and place a flat pan (tawa) and put the vessel on the flat pan. Let the Biryani cook for another 45 minutes to 1 hour on low heat.
- Now turn off the heat and don’t remove the lid for 10-15 minutes.
Mutton Dum Biryani is ready to serve. Serve it hot with raita or mirch ka salan.
1 comment for “Preparing Authentic Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani at Home”