Upcoming car models in 2016
For India’s automobile industry, 2015 was a good year as it has seen an annual growth of 3.9% when compared to its previous year numbers. Approximately, 2 crore vehicles where sold last year including heavy vehicles, 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers along with passenger cars. Apart from the growth, there were major setbacks due to issues like Volkswagen emission scandal that lead to recall of more than 300000 units including Audi & Skoda cars and impact of floods in Chennai which is otherwise called as ‘Detroit of Asia’ due to the presence of several automobile manufacturing units.
2016 is going to be another challenging year for many manufacturers like TATA motors, Maruti Suzuki etc as they are gearing-up for fresh market entrants. TATA is making design changes to its decade old Indica’s and Maruti Suzuki which is largest hatchback seller in India is entering into the SUV segment. Many car makers both local and international are using AutoExpo 2016 to showcase and launch their new vehicles.
Here is a list of some upcoming affordable cars that are destined to hit showrooms in 2016.
Maruti Suzuki biggest automaker in India with its hatchback segment cars is trying to enter into SUV segment with two new cars. It is also releasing a variant of WagonR with diesel engine.
- YBA compact SUV (Feb 2016) 5 to 8 lakhs
- XA Alpha SUV (Feb 2016) 6.50 to 10.00 lakhs
Just like Suzuki, Honda is also planning to launch two new models of SUV cars in India, one below 10 lakhs and the other between 10 to 15 lakhs
- BR-V SUV (Feb 2016) 8 to 14 lakhs
- Vezel SUV(Sep 2016) 10 lakhs
Toyota launched its Innova in 2004 and since then it is updating the model with minor changes. In 2016, Toyota has planned for major design changes and is launching it by the name Innova New. It is also introducing a new SUV and a sedan class car this year.
- Innova New MUV (Jan 2016 to Feb 2016) 10 lakhs to 15 lakhs
- Rush SUV (Aug 2016) 7.50 lakhs to 10 lakhs
- Vios Sedan (May 2016) 7.2 to 11.50 lakhs
Mahindra is famous for its diesel SUV segment cars. In 2016 it is launching a crossover by the name KUV100 and an Automatic Transmission variant of 2012 launched Quanto.
- KUV100 crossover (Jan 2016) 5 lakhs to 7 lakhs
For TATA motors, 2016 is going to be a big year, as they have 5 new upcoming models with completely changed exterior design.
- Zica Hatchback(Feb 2016) Hatchback 4 lakh to 6 lakh
- Kite compact sedan (May to June 2016) 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs
- Nexon compact SUV (Jul 2016) 7 lakhs to 10 lakhs
- Hexa SUV(July to Aug 2016) 9 lakhs to 10 lakhs
- Pelican hatchback (July2016) 2.50 to 3.80 lakhs
General Motors small car division, Chevrolet is launching an environmental friendly car, which is a variant of the hit series Beat. It is also launching a MPV car in the price range of 9 to 10 lakhs.
- Orlando MPV (Feb 2016) 9 to 10 lakhs
French car manufacturer, Renault had good response in 2015 when it launched a hatchback model with price of 3.15 to 4.25 lakhs. This year it is planning to add more new models and variants to its hit list.
- Modus hatchback (Mar 2016) 4 to 4.5 lakhs
- Dokker Minivan LAV (Jun 2016) 5.5 lakhs to 9 lakhs
- Clio Hatchback(Jun 2016) 5 lakhs to 7.5 lakhs
B-Max an MPV class car, which was launched in the year 2012 in UK, will be available in India this year under the same name.
- B-MAX MPV (June 2016) 6 to 10 lakhs
All prices shown are Ex-showroom prices