The traditional practices of India over the centuries gave rise to different kinds of clothing practices. One of the most important clothing garments that have their origins in India is the saree. The saree as an ethnic outfit has defined the taste and style of women in India. Indian women simply love to dress up in traditional Indian clothing and consequently it is no wonder that there is always such a high demand for sarees among women of all ages in India.
Numerous reasons have made the saree the ultimate dress for any Indian woman. Let’s have a look at why so many women love wearing the saree and what are its advantages.
- One of the biggest reasons for the popularity of saree is that it is extremely versatile and can be worn by any woman with any kind of body type. Whether a woman is slim and has a well-maintained body structure or is curvy, the saree can make her look beautiful and elegant. The endless flexibility that is offered by the saree can allow a woman to drape it in any way she likes. This offers a woman to always be confident and look graceful.
- Saree is one of the most graceful clothing items that any Indian woman can wear. It is the perfect dress for any wedding or religious ceremony and one can wear them even for day to day occasions. You can even wear a nice saree for a business meeting or any kind of corporate gathering.
- The saree allows a woman to experiment with her looks in innovative ways. For instance, a woman can choose to wear the saree in a traditional way or sport a modern look. A woman can combine a westernized blouse with traditional saree or choose a blouse that perfectly contrasts the embroidery in the saree. Hence, the saree can help the woman to look unique and make her stand in a crowd.
- Compared to some of the other types of clothes that should be adjusted to the body of the woman to ensure proper fitting, no such changes has to be made in a saree. The saree can be easily adjusted to the body of a woman irrespective of her shape. Moreover, the saree can be draped in any way preferred by the woman.
- Saree is probably the only type of clothing that is universally loved and accepted in all parts of India. While India has numerous ethnicities and social classes, practically every one of them has their own versions of sarees and are also open to saree styles from other parts of the country. This makes saree a truly cross-cultural and cross-ethnic dress that has wider appeal.
- Over the years, numerous types and styles of sarees have been developed in various parts of India. This means that there is no dearth of styles that a woman can try out when she wants to look nice with a beautiful saree.
The pallu or the loose end of the saree serves many functions especially in non-urban settings and among the working classes. In humid hot climates, common in India it acts as a napkin to wipe the sweat of the face. It can be used as a sunshade, it can be wrapped to protect from mosquito bites, somethings while working in the kitchen it is used as a substitute for the kitchen glove to hold hot cooking vessels while stirring the spoon or lifting the hot vessel form the stove.
From all the above it is obvious that the saree is a versatile dress that is a pragmatic choice for many reasons.