The million dollar question is, what is vaastu? This looks a very simple question, but it is deep rooted and at times difficult to answer. Vaastu is an ancient Vedic science that focuses on the layout of a building. Vaastu has its origin in the Vedas and was developed over 5,000 years ago in India.
Meaning of vaastu
The word vaastu (vaastu shastra) is derived from Sanskrit language. Vaastu means building and shastra means science. It is a study that deals with designing buildings to promote harmony with natural forces. It reveals how to balance the energies of living space to assure good health, energy, prosperity and peace for people inhabiting in that space.
Vaastu works on the five elements of nature
Panchabhutas are the five elements of nature, namely, sky, air, fire, water and earth. These five elements should be balanced in such a way that it ensures a harmonious flow of positive energy in the building. Energy is important to protect from the negativity around the surrounding.
Vaastu is followed while selecting a plot
When purchasing a house or a flat or a plot, you should be conscious about the shape of the plot, nature of the soil, slope, direction, surroundings of the plot, etc. You should not consider buying a plot that has vaastu imbalances.
Vaastu is a science of direction
There are eight directions (north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-west, west and north-west) in vaastu and every direction has its own unique characteristics.
- North – It is the direction of Kuber the God of wealth. In this direction consider having treasury, more open space, living room, bathroom and entrance. Avoid having bedrooms.
- North-east – It should be open, light and the surroundings should be kept clean. This direction is suitable for pooja/meditation room, entrance, porch, balcony, underground water tank and slope. Avoid toilets, septic tank and kitchen.
- East – East is the direction where the sun rises. Consider having guest room, living room, study room and entrance.
- South-east – This direction is suitable for kitchen (face east and cook) and electrical instruments (TV, microwave, fridge, etc). Avoid having cellar or wall in the area.
- South – This direction is suitable for bedroom (sleep with head towards south), staircase and store room. Avoid having cellar or wall.
- South-west – South-west direction should have master’s bedroom, staircase, overhead water tank, wardrobes, heavy and items.
- West – The direction should preferably have dinning room, overhead water tank, children’s bedroom, study room, toilet, septic tank and stair case.
- North-west – It is the direction of the wind God. It is suitable for dinning room, washing place, septic tank, guest room, toilet, children’s room, study room and parking.
These are the basics of vaastu that you need to know before you purchase a plot or a house. However, vaastu is a deep subjet and provides a lot of knowledge and information.
Please consult an expert or somebody who is good with the subject before deciding a property. It not only helps in designing a house, but also promotes health and prosperity.