The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) was formed on 16th April 2007 by merging 12 municipalites and 8 gram panchayats with the Municipal Corporation of Hyderabad. The municipalities are L. B. Nagar, Gaddiannaram, Uppal Kalan, Malkajgiri, Kapra, Alwal, Qutubullapur, Kukatpally, Serilingampalle, Rajendranagar, Ramachandrapuram and Patancheru. All these municipalities are in Rangareddy district. The gram panchayats are Shamshabad, Satamarai, Jallapalli, Mamdipalli, Mankhal, Almasguda, Sardanagar and Ravirala. The Hyderabad city has a population of above 60 lakhs and has spread in 650 sq km area. The ward members will be elected for a term of 5 years. The elections of GHMC will be held for 150 seats on November 23rd 2009. The results will be declared on 26th Nov, 2009.
The GHMC is divided into five zones viz, South Zone, East Zone, West Zone, North Zone, and Central Zone. The city is divided into 18 circles and 150 wards.
East Zone: 3 circles
- Circle 1 covers Kapra area.
- Circle 2 covers Uppal Kalan area.
- Circle 3 covers L.B Nagar & Gaddiannaram areas.
South Zone: 3 Circles
- Circle 4 covers areas under Moosarambagh, Saidabad, Saroornagar, Barkas, Moghalpura, etc.
- Circle 5 covers areas under Falaknuma, Puranapul, Begum Bazaar, Shali Banda etc.
- Circle 6 covers Rajendra Nagar area.
Central Zone: 4 Circles
- Circle 7 covers areas under Golkonda, Military area, Hakimpet, Mehdipatnam, Langer house etc.
- Circle 8 covers areas under Esamia Bazaar, Agapura, Gun Foundry etc.
- Circle 9 covers areas under Amberpet, Kachiguda, Himayathnagar, Bholakpur, Nallakunta etc.
- Circle 10 covers areas under Jubilee hills, Banjara hills, Yousufguda, Sanathnagar, Khairatabad etc.
West Zone: 4 Circles
- Circle 11 and 12 covers Serilingampally North and South areas.
- Circle 13 covers Ramachandra Puram and Patancheru areas.
- Circle 14 covers Kukatpally area.
North Zone: 4 Circles
- Circle 15 covers Qutu-bullapur area.
- Circle 16 covers Alwal area.
- Circle 17 covers Malkajgiri area.
- Circle 18 covers Secunderabad division.