Shopping experience in Hyderabad offers some really unique options – there are some things that you simply cannot miss to buy for yourself and for your loved ones. Your trip to Hyderabad is incomplete if you don’t shop. The city has so much to offer, there are a few items worth buying from Hyderabad while going back home from traditional bangles and pearls to handicrafts and toys. Here’s a guide on what to buy from Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad bangles: Hyderabad is popular for bangles. If you are planning to buy bangles, then Chudi bazaar at Charminar is a perfect place where you will get a variety of bangles in multiple colours. You cannot turn your eyes over them and would love to adorn your wrist with colourful bangles. Here you will get bangles of all materials like glass, brass, lac, metal, threads, silver and many more. This bazaar is famous for lac bangles studded with vibrant artificial diamonds, glass mirrors and pearls.
- Pearl jewellery: Hyderabad is known as ‘City of Pearls’ or ‘Pearl City’. The artisans here are experts in segregating, categorizing and polishing the pearls to give different varieties of hues. You will get to see pearls of different types, shapes, sizes and colours studded in gold, silver and imitation ornaments like earrings, pendants, rings, bracelets, necklaces, tie-tacks, etc. The famous pearls are rice pearls and basara pearls. The best places to buy pearls in Hyderabad are Laad bazaar and Pathergatti.
- Attar/Ittar (perfume): Perfumes are made from natural fragrant materials like flowers, herbs and spices. The unique feature of attar is it is sandalwood oil base, unlike modern perfumes that are alcohol based. They are locally produced and are packed in tiny glass jars. The most common and popular fragrances are rose and jasmine.
- Hand-loom sarees: In Hyderabad, you will get to see a wide range of sarees that differ in pattern, design and embroidery work. The surrounding areas of Hyderabad have unique traditions of saree making process and designs. There are Kanchi sarees, Gadhwal, Mangalgiri, Venkatagiri, Narayanpet, Pochampally, Uppada, Khadi sarees and many more. There are many local shops in Hyderabad that sell these sarees. In addition to the above mentioned sarees, there are sarees that come from places like Bengal, Orissa, Rajkot and Benares.
- Handicrafts: If you are looking for handicrafts, Hyderabad is the right place where you get authentic collection of arts and crafts. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Bidriware: Bidriware is a unique metal ware made of blackened alloy of zinc and copper designed with thin sheets of silver. Bidriware is available in the form of flower vases, wine decanters, plates, bowls, trinket boxed, huqqa bases, tableware, wall decorations, show pieces, jewellery, bidri bangles and many more. These crafts give a authentic look when used for decorating ideas. Popular place where you can buy bidriware are Abids, Basheerbagh, Nampally and Sultan Bazar.
- Kalamkari art: Kalamkari is a splendid unique art in which painting is done using a pen. The colours used in this art are prepared from the parts of plants (leaves and roots), mineral salts of iron, tin, copper, etc. The motifs of kalamkari art are inspired by the temple architecture and scenes from great epics. These paintings were earlier drawn only on fabric, but now you can see on silk and other materials. Kalamkari art is also available in numerous forms and styles like prayer rugs, wall hangings, canopies, door covers, bed covers, dress materials, sarees, jackets and many more.
- Banjara embroidery: Banjara embroidery is a needle work practised by Banjara or lambada tribes using vibrant coloured threads, mirrors, shells, beads, etc. Major motifs in this style are flowers, leaves, mangoes, creepers, etc. Colourful embroidery work is done on dresses, blouse pieces, skirts, kerchiefs, bags, wall hangings, cushion covers, sofa backs, bed sheets, etc.
Apart from the above mentioned handicrafts, you will also get to see brass artware, wood carvings, rose wood furniture, stone carvings, cotton and jute handicrafts, etc., in the below mentioned shops.
- Lepakshi Hasthakala Bhavan, Opp: Telephone Exchange, Musheerabad, Hyderabad
- Nirmal Industry, Musheerabad, Hyderabad
So the next time you are in Hyderabad, make sure you are purchasing these things.