The BBA course, a three-year degree, focuses on developing business management abilities in its students. BBA is an undergraduate course that trains a student on how to apply the managerial skills in the field of business. This program is popular in foreign countries but only recently got introduced in India.
A Bachelor of Commerce, abbreviated as BCom is an Indian undergraduate degree in accounting & commerce. The course is designed to provide students with a wide range of understanding in streams like accounting, taxation. company law and management accounting
Reduced importance to BCom
Earlier, the closest bachelor’s course related to business in India was the BCom. BCom is a narrow field in which students don’t prepare you for many options beyond accountancy. Further, for those who have ordinary abilities a work role in accounting or bookkeeping is a good option. Only the brightest can clear CA as only 2-3% can clear the CA exam. While CAs have a bright future, even the next rung who just missed clearing CA exam by slight margin, do not have any good options.
Moreover, BCom degree teaches passive skills, those that can be used after the actual business transaction happens. BCom teaches how to post accounting entries, under legal frameworks but not how business works. Neither the course helps to understand how and why customers behave.
Advantage of the BBA Program
BBA trains students in skills that are useful for the active management of a business. BBA students will have skills related to customer management, coordination with people, operational and marketing knowledge and related expertise.
This was only possible in a post-graduate course like MBA or PGDM. However, by pursuing BBA course its students don’t waste their academic years in graduation studying things that are not helpful later in their career.
Specific Benefits of BBA Program
- Today across India BBA’ enrolment is 5.2 Lakhs compared with BCom which as only 4 lakh enrolments
- This is surprising since the BBA is a relatively recent course, while BCom has been there for almost 100 years.
- The scope of BBA opens an opportunity for a wider set of jobs. After BBA, its graduates can pursue careers in banking, marketing, finance, FMCG, advertising, corporates among other roles.
- Unlike with BCom degree, someone with a BBA degree can get higher roles – managerial and officer jobs.
- In the BBA program, students study several management subjects like marketing management, financial management, which can also be used in daily life situations later in their careers.
- BBA has similar subjects like MBA but they can get a job 2 years before MBAs.
- Get job oriented education compared to other graduates like BSc, BA or even BCom.
- BBAs have a practical skillset that is helpful for businesses that hire them – so more likely to be hired quickly.
- BBA is a professional course and its graduates get jobs at higher compensation as compared to BCom.
For all the reasons above, BBA enrolment is on the rise and less people are enrolling for BCom. Even among the business community, earlier they would encourage their kids to join the BCom before joining the family business. Even in this segment, increasingly there is a tendency to opt for a BBA degree. These kids of businessmen are opting for BBA because it offers a well-rounded education that teaches useful subjects that will help in smooth running of the business.
The BBA course acts as a lucrative career option in the world of business as it not only gives an edge over other graduate students due to the practical knowledge a student gets but also this course helps with career growth.
1 comment for “BBA Enrolments Rise And Reduced Importance For BCom College Degree”