Nutritional Level is Better in Vegetarians
Delhi-based South Asia Network for Chronic Diseases (SANCD) conducted a study in four factories of cities – Delhi, Nagpur, Hyderabad and Bangalore. The purpose of the study is to know the dietary habits of migrant and non-migrant labours in these cities.
SANCD findings presented at the two-day national conference held by Nutrition Society of India (NSI) are as follows:
- The study shows that non-vegetarians take a better combination of nutrients than non-vegetarians.
- Vegetarian food really provide good set of proteins.
- Vegetables are sources of micro-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and carbohydrates.
- Vegetarians consume lower quantities of salt and fat fats compared to non-vegetarians.
- The study shows that vegetarian food are less rich in vitamin B12, Iron and Zinc. These foods are rich in vitamin C and folic acid.
Source – The Hindu