Using an ATM Centre – A Few Precautionary Steps
A recent incident reportedly at an ATM centre in a neighbouring state has made users in Hyderabad to worry for safety at ATM centres. In the light of this, the following points are advisable.
- Stay alert for suspicious people around the ATM centre.
- Avoid ATMs in distant as well as crowded areas.
- Make sure you do not use mobile phone while using the ATM. It can cause distraction.
- See if there is anyone inside the kiosk before you start using the machine.
- While entering you PIN stay close to the machine and cover the keypad to avoid revealing the PIN to others behind you.
- Press ‘Cancel’ button before you leave the centre.
- Wait until bank’s homepage is visible. This shows that your transaction is done.
- If you get a slip on transaction, destroy the same.
- Do not seek help from others who you do not know.
- If going to an ATM at night, take a friend/relation along with you.
- Avoid counting the cash you withdraw in the ATM kiosk, put the cash in your pocket or wallet, and count it later.
- If there is not enough light in the ATM centre, avoid using it.
Source – The Hindu